When it comes to riding, you sure wouldn’t want to miss out on all the fun aspects involved with it. But in order to make sure that you are having a great time on your bike, you also need to know certain guidelines that will help you overcome the hurdles that come along with the fun. Thus when you are a biker you are expected to know about a basic understanding of the first aid precautions that will come handy incase of the following situations.
In Case Of Wound
If you are into hardcore biking or love to ride or even if you are interested about it then it is quite mandatory that you follow certain guidelines when it comes to safety. It is quite necessary if not for you, but for those around you and those who ride along with you. Even the ones who may not know how to deal in a particular case of some unwanted injury, you could be in the middle of nowhere and getting help would be a challenging task.
Thus during the emergency of a wound it is advised to follow the below necessary steps :
1) Remove or reduce the problems that hamper healing such as dirt, infection, movement, etc.
2) Leave the wound undisturbed.
3) Clean the wound by washing them with running water. If there are splinters, thorns and pieces of glass inside the wound remove them with a pair of forceps or tweezers so as to avoid infection.
In Case Of Profuse Bleeding
Now when it comes to bleeding things can get a little messy, the worst case scenario being loss of a lot of blood which may lead to even more fatal situation.
Thus in such times it is advised that,
1) To stop the bleeding apply direct pressure on the wound.
2) This can be done with any clean folded cloth.
3) Lean on the wound with the heel of the hand instead of your fingers.
In Case Of A Fracture
Since we are considering every possibility that can happen in the course of a ride and one of the horrible nightmares for any rider happens to be an unwanted fracture. Thus what could be done in such times?
1) Do not apply direct pressure; instead use a splint (bamboo or wooden rod), combined with as gentle pressure bandage.
2) It is safer not to give the patient anything to eat and drink. This is to protect the patient from vomiting in case he needs anesthesia and surgery, or has a head injury.
3) If the wound on the arm or the leg is bleeding profusely, it can be raised. This reduces the blood flow to the wounded area.
The Foam Liner:
If you are a biker then you must know the importance of the foam liner. It is an important gear which a lot of bikers make use considering the safety angle. It is a molding of polystyrene beads or polyurethane foam. It provides a stopping distance for the head. The foam can compress by 90% during an impact, although it recovers partially afterwards. But this helps increase the stopping distance thus reducing the peak deceleration of the head. It also protects as much as possible of the head.
In Case Of Chest Or Abdomen (Stomach) Injury
This is something which can prove out to be quite unexpected and if not handled with care then things could be disastrous. It is firstly expected to handle this situation with a calm mind and do not act on impulse. In case of an abdominal wound the intestines may come out.
Doing the following things can be quite helpful actually,
1) The only thing you can do when providing help is to cover the wound with a very wet clean cloth and get the patient quickly to a hospital.
2) The wet cloth will keep the intestine from drying out, and will stick to the intestine. Open wounds of the chest could be sucking in the air, making it hard for the patient to breathe.
3) Covering of the wound with a piece of polythene and putting a bandage on the top of this may help to reduce air being sucked into the chest.
4) Get the patient quickly to hospital.
In Case Part Of A Limb (Arms & legs) Is Cut Off
If a part of the limb has been cut off it may be possible to reattach it to the body. All you have to do is follow these steps
1) Put it inside a clean polythene bag and place this bag in another bag with cold water. If you can easily get ice put some in the water to keep it cool.
2) Make sure that the limb does not get soaked in water. If nothing else is available, carry the amputated part in a clean cloth quickly to hospital.
3) In large crush injuries or in amputation avoid washing the wounds, as it will lead to more blood loss. Just cover the wound with clean cloth and tie a pressure bandage quickly. If possible keep the limb raised.
4) Avoid using raw cotton wool to cover a wound as it gets stuck to the wound, and is difficult to remove and delay healing.
In Case Of An Eye Wound
Eye wounds can get a little bit nasty if not handled with precaution. Looking into the following things could help.
1) Do not attempt any cleaning or washing of an open eye injury.
2) Cover the eye with a clean soft cloth; place a stiff covering on top to prevent any pressure coming on the eye. This is important because the contents can be squeezed out even through a very small wound.
In Case Of Bleeding From Ear
Bleeding from ears could only result into two things either it is merely an injury to the ear alone or it could be a serious head injury. In such times do the following,
1) Avoid putting anything in the ears to stop bleeding as this could further damage the eardrum.
2) Get the patient to lie down with the injured ear facing down.
In case Bleeding from Nose
Bleeding from nose could also mean a possibility for a head injury. Thus to avert this crisis one must do the following things rightly
1) If the patient is conscious and can sit up, ask them to pinch their nose and breathe through their mouth.
2) If they can lean forward, then that could prevent blood from going to the wind pipe resulting in choking. If the patient is unconscious they should lie with the face to one side, for the blood to come out easily, so that there is no choking.
In Case Of Injuries To Muscles, Bones And Joints
It is quite important for a person to remember certain guidelines which will help you overcome situations when you are dealing with the injuries to the muscles, bones and joints. Thus this is what you must do in such times.
When muscle joints or bones get injured, blood collects over the area, and a swelling appears. You can reduce the swelling by bringing down the bleeding.
1) Apply cold water or ice packs if available. It reduces local blood flow and this brings down the internal bleeding and swelling.
2) But remember not to keep ice packs on more than ten minutes at a stretch as this will lead to something like frostbite, and not to place ice directly on skin.
3) Always wrap it in a cloth first. A muscle injury can be made less painful by putting a splint on the injured limb.
In Case Of Broken Bones And Dislocated Joints
A fracture or dislocation can be confirmed if there is obvious deformity, abnormal mobility, if the limb cannot be moved at all and if a grating feeling exists. First aid for all fractures and dislocations must aim to reduce movement, which will give relief from pain. Splinting should be done with caution.
Shifting The Injured To The Hospital
1) Ensure that the accident Victim is not hurt more.
2) The patient should be carried on firm board of stretcher so spine remains stable.
3) While shifting, the patient's back, neck and airway need to be protected from further injury. So always take help of another person.
4) If the patient is unconscious, gently place a large folded cloth or towel under the neck so that the neck doesn't sag against the ground.
5) The vehicle used to carry the patient to the hospital should have enough space to keep the patient's back straight and the person accompanying should be able to care for and resuscitate the patients if necessary.
6) During transportation keep a watch on whether the patient's airway is clear, whether the patient is breathing and whether you can feel the pulse in the patient.
7) If there is only one limb injury the patient can be safely taken to hospital on a chair in a sitting position. Take care to splint or protect limb injuries or bleeding.
Safety is a very important part of riding; if you are missing out on it then you cannot call yourself a rider. Thus, it is expected that you follow the above instructions and possibly carry along with yourself your safety first aid kit that includes the necessary life saving elements in times of crisis. It may not be you, but carrying the kit with you could let you help some other life who comes across such a situation.
Thus make sure to carry along the following tools in your safety kit
2) Rolling Bandages
3) Anti-septic cream
4) Safety cloth
5) Plastic Tweezers
6) Cotton Swabs
8) Sterile eye pads
9) Burn gel
10) Anti-fungal cream
11) Pain Relief Spray
12) Anti-septic dusting powder
13) Crepe Bandage
14) Adhesive tapes
Also along with all the important tools mentioned above don’t forget to carry a bottle of water with you, it always comes handy. Even a thermometer helps at times.